Or Black Forest ‘Gateau’, if you insist!
It’s March 28th. Kids all over the world woke up at 5 am this morning and jumped out of bed, because March 28th only means one thing. No, not America Diabetes Association Alert day. Although ironically that is also today. Yes, of course, it’s Black Forest Cake day. And us vegans can enjoy it too. Below’s recipe is courtesy of veganrecipeclub. Enjoy!
• 125g/4oz vegan margarine, eg Biona, Pure, Koko Dairy Free Spread, Vitalite, Tesco Free From
• 175g/6oz caster sugar
• 125g/4oz vanilla soya yoghurt OR plain yoghurt with 1 tsp vanilla essence mixed in
• 2 heaped tbsp cocoa
• 200g/7oz self-raising flour
• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 2 tsp finely ground flax seeds (OR ready-ground flaxmeal, eg Aldi) + 4 tbsp water to make a ‘flax egg’
• ½ jar of Frank Cooper Oxford cherry conserve OR other cherry jam, eg Aldi/Lidl
• 250g/9oz dairy-free cream cheese, eg Tofutti or Tesco Original
• 1 tin (400ml) full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
• 40-50g/1½oz icing sugar, to taste
• Zest of ½ orange
• 12-15 fresh cherries
• Dark chocolate for decoration – most brands are vegan but always check labels to ensure there is no added butterfat, whey etc.
1. Place tin of coconut milk in fridge for a few hours or overnight
2. Mix ground flax seed and water and place in fridge for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas Mark 4.
4. Blend margarine and sugar until light and fluffy, add yoghurt, cocoa and ‘flax egg’ mixture.
5. Sift in flour and bicarbonate and combine well.
6. Pour cake mix into a deep, lined 18cm/7in tin – preferably springform – and bake for about 35 minutes. It is ready when an inserted wooden skewer comes out clean. Set aside until completely cool.
7. Scoop thick coconut cream from the top of tin (don’t use the liquid). Use 175g/6oz and blend together with cream cheese, orange zest and icing sugar until smooth. Keep chilled.
8. Slice cake in half, spread half the cherry jam and fresh cherry halves (optional) onto bottom layer. Top with two-thirds of the cream and cover with second cake half. Spread remaining cream on top. Decorate with fresh cherries and grated dark chocolate. Chill before serving and enjoy!